Sunday, February 13, 2011

Such a Time as This

This being Valentines Day and all, I was planning to write a sweet and clever post, perhaps wax a bit sentimental. Then on Saturday while reading the Columbus Dispatch I was drawn to an article : ‘Teens must be aware there are risks to dating’ by Cheryl Pentella, Co-President of the National Council of Jewish Women, Columbus Section. I was reminded; February is National Teen Dating and Violence Awareness and Prevention Month. The notion to be clever or sentimental seemed less appealing, at such a time as this.
“• 1 in 5 teens in a relationship they termed serious reported being hit, slapped or pushed
• 1 in 3 girls who have been in a serious relationship say they’ve been concerned about being physically hurt by a partner.
• 1 in 3 high-school or college students will become a victim of an abusive dating relationship by the time they graduate.
• Nearly 1 in 4 teen girls reported pressure to go further sexually than she wanted as a result of peer pressure.”

I have accepted a calling on my life to serve young women caught in the throws of parenting, before they are adequately equipped to do so. As a community health nurse, I observed the brokenness in lives, of scores who had been victimized by others and/ or their own naive beliefs about love and intimacy. I am a trainer for advocates for victims of abuse. I have studied these issues earnestly. The outlook is not encouraging! Our young people are being duped in to believing power, control, and sex rule! Now is the time to move forward with compassion, courage, and truth.
I found quite a few websites that offer facts, insights and informed opinions for both adults and teens. I’m providing links to a few of them. Click on the titles to learn more:

Dispatch Article (referenced above)
Women’s Policy, Inc.
Family Education
Stay Teen

No comments: