Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Thinking of Moms

I am especially aware of teen moms... I notice them in the hubbub of holiday shopping. I watch their stories on TV programs like TLC's "The Baby Story". I take note of comments they make and comments made about them. I understand that teen moms love their babies and want to be great parents!

I listen to twenty and thirty-something moms talk about parenting and the weariness they experience; even those with supportive husbands and extended families. It makes me wonder about the stress that teen moms must endure. Many have no one to help out and long for a safe haven for themselves and their babies.

I remember when my first baby was born; I was 22, married, an RN and had family close by. I wondered if I would be a good mom; I wanted to be the best mom in the world! I had so many questions! I remember laying awake at night, counting the babies respirations! I have heard a lot of stories from peers; sharing the challenges of bringing their babies home from the hospital, feeling ill-prepared and uncertain. Some of the stories are funny as told now, but I am certain it wasn't funny at the time!

I pray throughout each day that God will bless the work we have begun to establish Chloe's Place. I pray that we will be welcoming teen mom's and their little ones to a safe and nurturing home during 2009. The task that lies ahead is daunting. We will need volunteers, donors, advisers, and friends to share in the work. I hope as you check in on our progress from time to time that you will notice your heart growing increasingly tender toward teen moms. I hope you are already thinking about ways you will become involved.

No comments: